Episode 1.7: Man, 16 Year Olds Love to Argue
In episode #7 of Project Based Awesome Erin and Chris discuss the how(s) and why(s) of trying to incorporate authentic, real world outcomes and a real audience.
They discuss how incorporating more authentic learning experiences and a real audience into your classroom it creates
- More buy-in on the part of the Ss - Students are wondering how your content/skills are relevant to their lives - show them.
- A chance for Ss to experience what the workforce may be like after school - and isn’t that kinda why we’re here, in a way?
Erin and Chris also share some specific examples of authentic tasks and real world audiences from their work in the classroom.
Some things Erin and Chris discuss in this episode:
- Personal Anecdotes: Movies we should have seen but haven't (00:38)
- Introducing the idea of authentic, real-world tasks, finding an audience more than just the teacher and why it works (7:00)
- Examples of real-world tasks/audiences and some specific techniques to use these in class (16:50)
Until next time...peace.
Listen, rate us, and Subscribe on iTunes and other podcast hosting sites.
Follow us on Twitter
Song: Two Men From New Jersey Artist: We Is Shore Dedicated